16 February 2010

Yeah, I rocked out with a roomful of tweens on the most romantic day of the year, and I’m proud of it!

JUSTIN BEIBER CONCERT

It’s easier than ever to comment! Live out loud!

I’m 30 and I spent my Valentine’s Day with Justin Bieber. Just got my hearing back too. And yeah, that means I felt old.

I mean, my very first concert was New Kids on the Block, back in the 80’s. The fangirls at the concert know them now as NKOTB – but only because of their recent cheesy jam ‘Summertime.’ I’m talking old-school New Kids, Hangin’ Tough or The Right Stuff. Yeah, see? Old.

But back to Biebs. Girls were wearing T-shirts with puffy paint (I did that too back in the day!) and held signs saying “JUSTIN WILL YOU MARRY ME?” One girl even passed out cold for a glimpse of the 15-year-old tween sensation.

I considered ear plugs, and should have gone with my gut instinct. My hearing isn’t what it used to be, after all. I tried to play nice though – I remember the excitement of seeing your favorite boy band for the first time, after all. I was once one of those shrieking girls myself. I’m still paying for it though – dearly.

I’ve never really followed his music, but when a friend invited me, I couldn’t refuse. It was Valentine’s Day, so let’s just say I did it in the spirit of love. My first impression when Justin rocked the stage is that he was a pint-sized Tower of Power. Many of the adults just laughed or froze in terror. I did both.

Tears fell from the eyes of panicked young women who threw stuffed bears and flowers. He threw his Yankees hat out to a mob of girls who fought for it for easily three minutes. As he moved on to the acoustic part of his set, we got to know a quiet, more thoughtful Justin. He sang a melody of “classic” Justin Timberlake and Usher’s hits, U Got It Bad and Cry Me A River, in the honor of his mentors (whose music I actually dig). I shrugged, and thought, “Jeez, to him these songs are classics. To me it was only 2002.”

He sang his hit single, One Less Lonely Girl, to 14-year-old Emily, whom he brought onstage and gifted with roses. It must have been the moment of her life when he brushed his hand across her cheek (Now why can’t Ben Affleck do that for me, I ask you?!).

Speaking to Emily later, I was curious about her obsession. What does she see in him? “I just love him, he is so sexy!” she gushed. I was momentarily self-righteous. Does she know what means? Does it matter? Am I allowed to judge? The answer is ‘no’ all around. I was 14 once. Puppy love counts too, just not as much as the real deal. Trust me, I know. I’m 30. And yes, I do know that I keep on banging on about my age, but I’m trying to make a point here.

I’ve been trying to hold on to my 20s and was reluctant to let them go, so I should really thank Justin. What he’s done is helped me plant my feet firmly in my 30s. I simply appreciate him for bringing attention to the fact that I am officially, without a doubt, all grown up.





0 Comments

Post a Comment


If you want to put a link on your message so people can easily click it then please put the url of the link in your name.

(Please no Koini Club spam)

(The smilies are working correctly now.)

:a   :b   :c   :d   :e   :f   :g   :h   :i   :j   :k   :l   :m   :n   :o   :p   :q   :r   :s   :t

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...